You might not be using your air conditioner much now that the cooler temperatures are rolling in. Though the air is changing, the offseason is a good time to get your air conditioner inspected, tuned up and repaired. Do maintenance this fall or winter and, come next summer, your system will be ready to work hard! After all, regular maintenance is the key to avoiding costly AC breakdowns. With this in mind, you might be wondering about the average lifespan of most air conditioners.
Most experienced HVAC contractors and technicians agree that most air conditioners will last about 15 to 20 years, but only when properly taken care of, conditions are relatively normal and homeowners practice regular maintenance. The reality is that there are many things that can take years off an AC’s life, such as improper installation, how the AC is used, lack of maintenance and the system or unit being the wrong size for the space.
Here are five factors to consider when you want to gauge the life expectancy of your AC and determine whether it’s time for air conditioner installation in Albany, OR:
- Age: The age of your system has a lot to do with its projected lifespan. Experts say an AC can last 15 to 20 years, but certain things can decrease or increase its lifespan. A lack of routine maintenance, exposure to the elements and outdoor debris and neglecting repairs can take a toll on your system. If you have costly repairs one after the other, step back and consider the age of the system and whether it’s time to invest in a new one.
- Energy efficiency: The time may come when an older, less energy efficient system is not worth the constant repairs. If your energy bills are soaring and the system keeps breaking down, it might be time to banish it from your life. When shopping for a new AC, be sure to take a look at systems that are energy efficient. In many cases, the cost of the new system is made up quickly in energy bill savings.
- Quality of AC and installation: When deciding to buy a brand new system, it’s best to research ratings and the reputation of specific AC manufacturers. Also, make sure the company you’ve hired to install the equipment is a true HVAC expert. Quality equipment and installation plays a huge role in determining how long your AC will last.
- Service history: Regular preventative maintenance is the key to extending the life of your cooling system. A lack of routine maintenance and ignoring signs of trouble almost guarantees premature system failure.
- Condition: Regular seasonal maintenance checks and tune-ups should be the norm. A system that is working properly should not need repair services or equipment replacements all the time. Frequent fixes are ultimately just bandages covering up soon-to-be system failures.
Whether you need air conditioner repairs or air conditioner installation in Albany, OR, make sure your first call is to the team at Larsell Mechanical Service. Reach out today to learn more or arrange a consultation!
Categorised in: Air Conditioner Installation
This post was written by Writer